Good morning,

I am currently serving in the RAF as Non-Commissioned Aircrew and humbly ask for any help or advice you can give me with tracing the service history of my late grandfather.
The following information is what I and my mother have gleaned through conversations with my late grandmother and is a little sketchy:

643414 LAC Bert Darley (DOB 3 April 1919) joined in 1938 and trained at Cosford and Cranwell as a Fitter 2 Engines.
He served in the BEE in France (Paris) 1939 - June 1940; St Athan 1940 - Feb 1941; Bircham Newton (Norfolk) Feb 1941; Kaldarnes Iceland March 1941; Karachi India Dec 1941 – 1945; Finally he was demobbed in Dec 1945 at Hednesford (Staffs).

Other family members seem to remember him being evacuated from Dunkirk and also spending some time at Biggin Hill.
He did serve time as a rear gunner on Lancasters but this and his service overseas doesn’t show in his official service records – apart from a recorded month where he received crew pay – but it doesn’t say what for.

I have contacted the MOD Medal Office and they state that his records only show him qualifying for the Defence medal and the 1939/45 Star, yet my late grandmother mentioned an Oak Leaf Decoration, Burma star and being mentioned in Despatches.

If anyone out there could shed some light on the missing portions of his service and even on which squadron he may have served on as a rear gunner I would be extremely grateful. Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Finally to all of you who served before me, thank you for your sacrifices and my very best wishes to you all.

Darren.