October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#433 - 06/02/12 09:25 PM Information re. Flt Sgt R V Cresswell WOM/Air
peterpro Offline

I'm seeking information about Flt Sgt RV Cresswell, RAF, a WOM/Air, on behalf of his nephew who lives in NZ.
Flt Sgt Cresswell served with 517 Squadron, based at RAF Brawdy, in 1944, but early in August he was posted to 518 Sqn at Tiree to join a newly formed crew with Plt Off K Organ as skipper. Unfortunately,
Flt Sgt Cresswell and the rest of the crew were killed in their first Air Test, when their aircraft collided with another Halifax on 16/8/44. His nephew, Ron, is anxious to obtain any information about his uncle's wartime service from colleagues who served with him.

#434 - 07/02/12 07:48 PM Re: Information re. Flt Sgt R V Cresswell WOM/Air [Re: peterpro]
Alan Offline

Loc: Cornwall
I have the Accident Record cards for the two aircraft concerned. Flt/Sgt Cresswell was on board 518sqdn Halifax LL186, which collided with another of the squadron's aircraft, Halifax LL296, flown by P/O N.D.T. Turner. Both aircraft were on flight tests prior to an operational flight. The accident lead to a "Control Zone" scheme being used more frequently, with only one aircraft being airborne in it at any one time.
If you would like copies of the reports, you will have to get your email address to me.
Regards....Alan.

Edited by Alan (07/02/12 07:49 PM)

#435 - 07/02/12 08:43 PM Re: Information re. Flt Sgt R V Cresswell WOM/Air [Re: Alan]
peterpro Offline

Alan
Thank you for info. re Accident Cards. I was on the spot at the time, but this M-A-C has always troubled me, so more recently I gathered all the information together, including a copy of the Court of Inquiry, available from RCAF authorities. Unfortunately, vital appendices giving extracts from the Flying Control and R/T logs were withheld. I produced a comprehensive report, and copies now reside with DORIS at the RAF Museum, London, AHB RAF Northolt, and with the archives at Tiree. Can provide you with a copy if you wish.

#661 - 05/11/13 12:21 PM Re: Information re. Flt Sgt R V Cresswell WOM/Air [Re: peterpro]
Ken Organ Offline

I,ve just joined this site and I would like to inform Flt Sgt R V Cresswell,s nephew that a memorial to the 16 airmen killed in the two Halifaxes mid-air collision over RAF Tiree on 16th August 1944 will be unveiled at Tiree airport (ex RAF Tiree) on 16th August 2014.

I am Ken Organ, the son of Flying Officer Kenneth William Organ RAFVR who was the Captain of Halifax LL186 which was in the mid-air collision with Halifax LL296. Flt Sgt Ronald Victor Cresswell was one of the crew of my father's aircraft.

I am co-ordinating the planning of the memorial.

If you and/or family members wish to attend the memorial unveiling ceremony it will be a pleasure to meet you.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you wish on nagro@hotmail.co.uk
Ken Organ
P.S. My father was also at RAF Brawdy with 517 Sqn in 1944 prior to posting to 518 Sqn on Tiree from 10th August 1944. I believe they were in the same crew at Brawdy. I have a photograph of the crew noting Flt Sgt Cresswell's nickname as "Norm".