ACA Woking News by Paul Holden, PRO

21 August 2002

AIRCREW HONOUR FALLEN COMRADES

The Runnymede Memorial
Runnymede Memorial

Members of the local branch of the Aircrew Association joined with hundreds of other branch members and their wives from all over the UK this month in an Act of Remembrance at the Runnymede Air Forces Memorial, where the names of 20,000 Allied and Commonwealth Airmen who were lost in World War II and who have no known graves, are recorded on stone tablets. They came to remember those who made this ultimate sacrifice, so that those who were lucky enough to survive and those who followed might live in peace and free from the threat of tyranny and oppression.

Part of the ACA Woking contingent
Woking contingent
The family service was introduced by Air Chief Marshal Sir Andrew Wilson KCB AFC FRAeS, the President of the Aircrew Association, and conducted by Woking Branch Member Reverend Bill Pegg, Honorary Chaplain to the Association. The Memorial Site, on a spur of Cooper’s Hill, was donated by Sir Eugen and Lady Effie Millington-Drake in 1949 and the shrine was opened in October 1953. National and Branch Standards were paraded, and flowers were dedicated and laid at the foot of the memorials. The Woking Branch were represented by a former RAF Navigator, two Spitfire Pilots, and an Air Sea Rescue Winchman. The Last Post was sounded by three buglers from the Chesham All Girls Band, and the collection was taken for ex-service charities by Cadets of No 1083 (Uxbridge) Squadron Air Training Corps.

View over Runnymede
Runnymede
Next year’s Service of Remembrance has been set for Sunday 17th August 2003, to coincide exactly with the 60th anniversary of the Bomber Command raid on Peenemunde.

Back to top of page